Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Sunday, July 29, 2007

The tree limb through the windshield incident

So there I was...lying peacefully asleep during my 2 pm naptime when BAM! Jack slams the downstairs door, stirring me from my slumber. I was ticked. Not 2 seconds later, I hear another, much louder KA-BAM, coming from outside my window. I jumped out of bed and into the closet, certain someone had just dropped a bomb in our backyard.

As I huddled amongst the shoes scattered on the closet floor, desperately clinging to my favorite maternity dress, I realized that Jack was still downstairs, possibly maimed from the blitz attack. I knew I must go to his aid, no matter what the danger lurking outside. I grabbed the .38 from underneath the bed and creeped down the stairs with the stealth of a lion on the prowl. As I rounded the corner and pointed my pistol, ready to let loose its fury on whatever culprit stood waiting, I noticed the door was opened, and no Jack in sight.

Then I heard him call to me from outside. So I put the pistol away. Thankfully, I didn't need to use it this time, but should a prowler come calling, I'll be ready. When I stepped outside, this is what I saw:



Yes, my precious altima, trapped under the weight of a giant tree limb, whose number came up unexpectedly just as soon as I parked my car beneath it. The hood, scratched and dented. The windshield, busted beyond repair. It also broke off a piece of my rearview mirror.

Thankfully, our homeowners insurance and our car insurance are with the same company, so they had to pay up. After we paid up our deductible, of course.

On the bright side, I had recently made several attempts to obtain a new inspection sticker for the altima, since it was 3 months expired. I turned on all the pregnant charm I could muster for all the old mechanic men around town, but, alas, no one would inspect my car for the giant preexisting crack on my car windshield. Jack wasn't quite ready to spring for a new windshield, so I've been driving with an expired sticker. SHAME ON ME!

After the tree limb through the windshield incident yesterday, we had no choice but to replace it, so, blessing in disguise! I can now get my inspection sticker and drive with the peace of mind that if I am pulled over, I will not have to fear the $15 fine for an expired sticker!!
Sure, we had to pay $300 for the windshield, but hey, with the $15 we will save on not getting a ticket, I think that $285 is a small price to pay for the peace of mind I now have when driving down the road, my vehicle properly inspected.

Blessing in disguise.
baby