Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Friday, September 7, 2007

Here she is!

HOORAY! She's finally here! My dad came by this morning to bring a camera, donuts and his laptop so I could post some pictures. (Thanks to the Days Inn next door for providing the Internet service.)

Here I am heading out to the hospital on Thursday morning with my giant belly.


Jack took full advantage of our situation yesterday by running every red light on Gillespie Street while singing "Slave to the Traffic Light." He sped down Hwy 82 going about 90 mph; I think he was hoping to get pulled over so he could tell the policeman that we were on our way to the hospital. Never mind the fact that I wasn't actually in labor...we were on our way to induce...

Anyway, I don't know what all the fuss is about regarding childbirth. It was a cinch. We got to the hospital at 7, started pitocin around 8:30; four hours later, here she was! I did have to have an enema...while the doctor told me I could refuse it, I felt it might be best for SB if I went through with it. As much as I didn't want to have it done, I really didn't want to BM on the table. I don't imagine that would be a very wonderful way to meet your mommy... Welcome to the world; here's some poop for your head.

The IV was worse though. They used a ginormous needle and stuck it in the top of my hand. It hurt like heck the whole day, and they didn't take it out until nearly 5 oclock that afternoon. Give me childbirth over an IV any day.

Not to mislead anyone; the pain was pretty intense until I got the epidural. Jack was trying to talk me through the contractions, but I told him NOT to make me laugh. But he is such a natural comedian; he just couldn't help cracking a few jokes here and there. I could tell he was trying not to laugh at his own jokes while I was having contractions. I wonder if he could tell I was trying not to defenestrate him while I was having contractions.

Once the epi set in around 11:30, I went from 5 cm to 10 cm in an hour!! When the nurse asked if I was ready to push, I couldn't believe it was time already. I was like, "WHAT??" and she was like, "YEAH!" It was not unlike a Little John concert. About 10 minutes later, Sarah Beth was exercising her lungs for the first time ever. 12:40 pm. Done and done.

We almost lost Jack for a few minutes when SB was ready to be born. He said he was ready to cry, faint and vom all at the same time. For a few seconds, the attention in the room shifted from me to him as my mom and the nurse tried to calm him down. Thankfully, he pulled himself together quickly and everyone's attention went back to where it belonged. on myself. Jack coached me through the final stages like a pro. He then told the doctor that SB looked like an alien when she first came out. She looked much cuter after they cleaned her up a little bit.


She weighs 6 lbs and 5 oz and is 19 inches long with dark hair and gray blue eyes. She was wide awake yesterday, taking in her new surroundings. I can't believe how cute she is. I mean, I knew she would be cute, but still. She really outdid herself. I think she looks just like her daddy.

I have tons more pictures, but I'll just post a few for now.




5 comments:

LT (and Max) said...

SHE IS PERFECT!! can't wait to see her in person! CONGRATS JACK AND EMILY!!!

Tracy~ said...

Congratulations Jack and Emily! Welcome to the world little SB!

I'm glad L&D went so well for you :)

She is a gorgeous baby! Also, I want you to know that I can see the knuckles in your fingers - see how quickly it goes away :)

Trace~

The Texas VicHorns said...

EMILY,

you have time to blog, but not time to call SB's favorite aunt???

I love the photo of her with her eye's open. i'm so proud.

CALL ME.

Anonymous said...

IF SHE IS NOT A MINIATURE JACK REDWOOD, I DON'T KNOW WHO IS! I love it!! She is precious, emily. Welcome to the world, Shadynas...I mean Sarah Beth! Congrats you two, she's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

She is beautiful!!! Congratulations to you both! I cannot wait to meet her! Call when you can!!! Love you!

baby