Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Daddy is Bad!

Last night, Jack decided that one week is enough time for SB to be coddled. He decided that it was time for her to start "self-soothing" at night. He even went as far as to suggest that we close our door AND the door to the nursery so we couldn't hear her if she cried. As if!

In the end, we agreed to disagree, but settled on a compromise. I left the doors open, but I let her cry for a couple of minutes before rushing in to pick her up. She ended up doing great; after 11:00 last night, she slept for 3 hours in between feedings.

Fast forward a few hours. It's 6 am and I've just finished feeding SB. Daddy is awake and ready to play. Mr. "Let's Get Her on a Schedule" decides that she has been such a good girl all night, she deserves a little spoiling. So instead of returning her to her bassinet, he takes her to the bedroom to nap on his chest.

**Disclaimer for all you moms out there. Don't freak out. We don't let her sleep with us while we are sleeping. She only gets to cuddle in our bed when we are awake and can watch her. So relax.

I however, was not ready to play. I was ready to finish sleeping. Also, I didn't think that holding her while she was supposed to be sleeping fit in with his discipline plan very well. He won, but only because I was too tired to fight.

He also has found a clever and subtle new way of spoiling himself. Whenever he wants something but doesn't want to get it himself, he just tells SB. For example, when I woke up at 8:30 this morning, Jack told SB how much he would love a cup of coffee. Here's how it went down.

Jack: I sure would love a cup of coffee.

Jack in his best SB voice: That sounds yummy, daddy!

Jack: I sure wish mommy would go make some coffee.

Jack as SB: Maybe she would if you asked her nicely.

Jack: No, she probably doesn't want to. But she would get up and make some if she really wanted to, without me having to ask her.

I wish I had time to elaborate, but I can hear SB. She's ready for breakfast. Again.

But don't worry. I punished Jack. After I finished laughing at his lame attempt to have me make his coffee, I sighed, rolled out of bed and handed Jack SB's burp cloth. I told him I would be right back, and I could tell he thought he had won.

Nay.

I came straight downstairs to blog about him instead. I can't wait until he reads this.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

laughing at "that sure sounds yummy, daddy" coming from a child who is all of 7 days old. HA! I can forsee Trey doing this.

I want to hold your child.

Tracy~ said...

Your last sentence had me laughing out loud.

Now, as a mom.... I breastfed and I let the boys sleep with me. I never once rolled over on them. It was just easier to feed them when in the middle of the night with them in the bed. Bad mommy, I know. But they slept longer in between feedings all cuddled up with me.

You're doing a great job! :)

Trace~

The Texas VicHorns said...

you're funny. call me.

Tracy~ said...

email me and I'll let you know what my job is :)
tdain@midsouth.wish.org

Yes, little James smells like fritos. Weird I know, but he lives with a family that is just plain weird. So, really, he's normal :)

Trace~

baby