Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Jack Redwood: Husband, Father (to be), Entertainer Extraordinaire

Well congratulations to me. and Jack. Today is our 3rd wedding anniversary. In lieu of buying him a nice gift, I thought I would pay blogging tribute to the man who made all my dreams come true.



We met, technically, when I was only about 15 years old. He and my brother were roommates at MSU. I seem to have lost all the wonderful photos of me at that age, but trust me, I was quite the looker at age 15. Trust me. However, he for some reason never took notice of me until I graduated from high school. My brothers were both so excited to hear how hot Jack thought I was, and they were both very excited when Jack started dating their little sister.

My mother always asked Jack when he was going to marry one of her daughters...It's funny how she stopped saying that after Jack asked my dad if he could start calling me. I'm sure the two are unrelated.

Okay, so there was a little tension when we first started dating-Jack is 5 years older than I am, and I was only 18 and living 2 hours away at the time.

After he got my father's blessing and convinced me to marry him, well, the rest is history. and now my family members are all counting their lucky stars that Jack is in the family. I wish I had a wedding photo to post, but our scanner is broken. Trust me, we both looked fantastic.

Fast forward about 2 years. We've been enjoying marital bliss long enough and decide it's time to throw a little chaos in the mix. We've had enough freedom to go and do and travel whenever we feel the urge. We spent enough time on our own, enjoying the late Saturday mornings and leisurely Sunday afternoon naps. Enough is enough! That's right. We decided to start having kids.

I'm not totally certain what drugs we were high on when we decided to nix the birth control and reproduce, but it must have been something good. I graduated in December of 2006 and we took a week-long cruise to celebrate over New Years. It was the most fun trip we have ever taken. We decided to make it a yearly event. A week after we returned from the Caribbean, a little surprise was waiting. A positive pregnancy test.

We went nuts; we were so excited. We were going to make great parents, for sure. We already had lots of practice with my brother's little girl.

Don't we look like naturals?


It was a while before reality began to set in. We were scheduled to go to Vegas next week for the all important fantasy football draft. However, at 8 months pregnant, that flight is out of the question. Our friends are going without us, and we'll have to make our picks over the phone. Our 2nd annual new year's cruise is also an impossibility with a 3 month old. All our fun, spoiled. What were we thinking?


Jack thinks we can just hand off SB to my parents and take off whenever we feel like it. After all, what are grandparents for? He also thinks that HE can sleep at night after she gets here, since I'll be the one who has to nurse her. He also thinks that our kids will never cry and/or throw fits in public. Nay, our children will be perfect in every way.


He also thinks he won't be wrapped around her little finger the second he holds her in his arms for the first time. He also thinks that he will be a strict disciplinarian; she'll never get away with anything. Those big brown eyes won't work on him. He's too smart for that.


I don't doubt him when he says she won't date until he's dead. I pity the poor boy who comes knocking on our door to take little SB out on her first date. Jack will probably be cleaning his guns in the living room, which he of course does all the time.




Jack can be a rather intimidating figure, when he hasn't just woken up from a nap.

In all seriousness, Jack's going to be a great dad. I have no doubt. I also think we're both in for a rude awakening, but we're both very excited. I actually had a dream last night that SB was born today, on our anniversary. Although I'm very ready for her to get the heck out of my uterus, which is now 1,000 times its original size by the way, she can't come just yet. We went to get our car seat yesterday, only to discover that they don't sell them in the store anymore. We had to order it online.

AFTER I confirmed the order and paid for it, the estimated arrival date showed up. It should be here in 2 weeks. Not one week, like originally promised on the Web site. So hopefully she will hold on another couple of weeks until we can legally take her home from the hospital.

I feel like I've gone on long enough for one day. I've got to prepare for an afternoon on the couch, watching Murry and our wedding video. I'll be back tomorrow to fulfill the entertainer extraordinaire portion of Jack's life. I have many stories. Few will survive.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

this is fabulous. i love jack.
i do. we met once I think back in '05 when you two were at mexico tipico.
i think that was him. come to think of it, maybe it wasn't you either.
regardless, i love him. and this story.

Anonymous said...

i am on pins and needles for more jack stories!! Congrats on the anniversary!!!! miss you already.

LT (and Max) said...

love love jack.

happy anniversary!!!

baby