Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Sister, My Hero

Today is a very special day. It is my sister's birthday! Twenty-two years old. Mary Beth has been a wonderful helper to me since SB was born. She has logged many hours holding, changing and feeding SB, and until very recently, she was our go to girl for babysitting. Now that she is in nursing school, however, her babysitting days are over. (Boo school)






But thanks to the fact that MB is in nursing school, she was able to save my daughter's life a few weeks ago. Mary Beth had mentioned that she had learned how to do CPR and how help a choking infant. I told her I wanted to learn how to do it, but I never got around to it.

A few weeks ago, we were at my mom's house hanging out, and SB had a little bite of my apple. Instead of chewing, she threw it straight down the hatch. Her eyes started to bulge out of her head, and she opened her mouth but couldn't breathe. I panicked and immediately handed her to Mary Beth, our resident nurse. Mary Beth reacted like a pro. She picked her up, flipped her onto her stomach and pounded on her back until SB coughed. She set SB down and we all breathed a sigh of relief (scary!) until we realized she still couldn't breathe!

Mary Beth immediately picked her back up and worked on her until my tiny little baby coughed up the apple and started crying. I have never been so happy to hear that little cry. I scooped her up and tried to calm her down, although it was difficult considering I was also hysterical.

I am so thankful that Mary Beth was there that day. I just have no idea what I would have done had I been by myself that day. I have seen the maneuvers performed on TV before, but I certainly don't have any training.

Mary Beth, you are the best. Thank you just doesn't seem big enough. I hope you like the shoes I got you for your birthday. Yeah. Shoes. I couldn't think of any better way to say "happy birthday" and "thanks for being a hero" than an awesome pair of stilletos.

And you can still babysit anytime you want.

Happy birthday, Mary Beth! I love you.

3 comments:

Amy Jordon said...

Oh, Emily, how scary! Mary Beth is my new hero! It is funny how we can think of all the right things to do if our kid gets into a certain situation... until they do and we are frozen in terror! Hope you bought MB some really nice stilettos.(:

Lori Robertson said...

How scary for all of you! Thank God Mary Beth was there.

Tracy~ said...

That is SO scary! I'm glad she was there! Happy Birthday, Mary Beth!

PS - Hotty Toddy :)

baby