Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day to all of my dad readers out there. A special wish for my own father, who I did not get a present for this year, since we kind of lumped mothers and fathers day along with your anniversary all into one big gift, which you got last month. Too bad for you.

Fathers are nice, fathers are nifty, you're getting this shout out instead of a gifty.

Seriously, Dad, I love you very much, and I could not have asked for a better father. I will always remember how you would come home from a long day at work but still have the energy to play kick the can until long after bedtime. Sometimes you would even hook up your little trailer to the lawn mower and drag us around the yard. And I'm still amazed at the strength you displayed while playing Rambo with us and the kids next door. war paint and all. What a dad.

Since Mom is out of town, I hope you enjoy a day of solitude, which, after all of your 30 + years of parenting, you will probably enjoy more than any present I could give you.

I'd also like to wish my husband a happy first father's day. Perhaps a story is in order?

About 2 months ago, we were on our way home from Colorado where we had been visiting Jack's dad (Happy Father's Day, Mr. Bobby!). We noticed a foul smell on the plane just before we landed but decided to wait until we got into the airport to change SB's diaper.

Jack, being the wonderful father that he is, offered to change her. He disappeared into the bathroom for a very long time. I was beginning to worry when a man emerged from the bathroom, laughing all the way. He noticed me standing alone and asked, "Is that your husband in there?" When I said yes, he laughed again and said, "He's doing a good job."

Not a good sign.

Jack appeared a few minutes later, holding a naked baby in his arms.

Jack: "you got any more clothes for her?"
Me: "yes. did you check in the diaper bag?"
Jack: "I didn't see anything in there."
Me: "Where are the clothes she was wearing?"
Jack: "I threw them away."

This is not an uncommon occurrence. It has happened on more than one occasion. If she soils an outfit, he just throws it in the trash. When I complain, his response is always the same. "she has tons of clothes. she won't miss one outfit."

I shouldn't complain. He is a wonderful father, and he has changed his share of dirty diapers. But if, heaven forbid, her diaper ever leaks onto her clothes, SB better pray to the god of adorable outfits that I'm the one on duty that day.

3 comments:

laura beth said...

Love. this. post. that story is gold. Happy father's day to Jack!!

Tracy~ said...

Happy Father's Day to Jack!
That story is priceless... don't you know that they ruin the favorite clothes - never the clothes you don't care a thing about!

Anonymous said...

ahh, rambo... the stolen bicycle, the eggs, the water hose, the war paint. love it. miss it. i had totally forgotten about kick the can. good times. good times.

baby