Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Beach Bummer

Two months ago, Jack planned a wonderful trip to the beach for us and some friends. We left early Thursday morning with our friends Brooke and Lindsey and SB's friend Ayden. A dozen hours later, through wind and rain and multiple stops for diaper changes, we finally made it to our house in Rosemary Beach. We had big plans to leave early Thursday morning so we could spend Thursday at the beach. We arrived that afternoon, but the tornados kept us indoors until Saturday.

I was so distressed. It was SB's first vacay, and the weather was not cooperating! She didn't even get to see the beach until Saturday evening. Thankfully, we took some babysitters with us, so the weekend wasn't a total waste. Lindsey and I were able to do a little shopping on Friday, and the adults had a fabulous dinner at Cafe 30 A that night, but for the most part, we spent our time at the house, playing cards.

-Side note: I am the Phase 10 MASTER and completely demolished everyone else at the table. I have the score card framed if anyone cares to see it.

I mostly felt sorry for one of our babysitters, Jenny, who didn't know any of us very well. She is a friend of my sister, who went with us to help watch the kiddies. I think she was scared of Jack. Those of you who know him, you know what I'm talking about. He's rather loud, and he says whatever is on his mind. He thinks he is hysterical, but poor Jenny did not share his sense of humor.

Also, Jack has always fancied himself a bit of a matchmaker and spent most of the weekend trying to set Jenny up with his brother, Rob, who met us at the beach for the weekend. I knew we were in for trouble when Jack, in his first meeting with Jenny, told her how glad he was that she was coming to the beach with us because he had promised his brother he would "bring a girl for him."

I don't think either one of them appreciated his attempts at love connection.

One major bright spot in the weekend, however, was the Southern Breeze Coastal Wine Tour. Many happy returns of the day to big sister Meredith, who set us up with a couple of tickets to the grand event. Lindsey and I took full advantage of the sun and the unlimited wine samples offered to us on Saturday. My favorite beverage at this event is always the Raspberry Champagne, which I sampled more than a few times. (Don't worry, I came home with a bottle.)

I knew it was time to leave when I asked to sample a brand called "Mojo," but pronounced it "Mo-HO." The jovial gentleman behind the table gladly poured me a glass, and said, "Sure, but here in the South, we call that "Mo-JOE."

My response? I took my sample and ran, assuring everyone within earshot that my first language was Spanish. I didn't go back to that table.

Mere, you missed a blasty. It was great fun, and you would have enjoyed seeing the lady who was covered from head to toe in pepto bismol pink attire, complete with a pink ostrich feather purse. Lindsey and I discovered her at the M&J table after following a trail of pink feathers strewn about the lawn. Much like Hansel and Gretel. Only the feathers weren't edible. Unfortunately, I didn't have my camer, so you'll have to take my word on how funny she looked.

I assured everyone that you wanted to be there, but had a last minute emergency come up and had to jet to Colorado to wait tables at a hunting lodge. They understood but were still sad they missed you.

Due to the intense hurricanic weather, I came home without a tan. I was sorely disappointed. I'm still as pasty and pale as I was last week, but after going through some old photos of Jack and me that Jack discovered yesterday, I have been inspired to go to the tanning bed.

Good news from the weekend: Jack's friend is pretty handy with a camera, and he got some great photos of SB on the beach. As soon as I get some copies, I'll post them for you to see. I know you can't wait.

4 comments:

The Texas VicHorns said...

EM! I'm so JEALOUS. I miss the wine tour, even if it did stress me out. I used to have such a cool job, know important people, and be trendy. What has become of me? HA!

Sounds like a FUN trip. MO-HO? I'm embarassed for you. Also, I can take an accurate guess of the mystery pink lady at the M&J table. She also has a minature toy poodle named pinot noir. she's pretty...eccentric.

Did Barousa Vinyards have a table? Who was the entertainment? Did you go the the Jazz concert?

Since I don't have phone service, please write me a lengthy email ASAP. I LOVE LOVE Cafe 30A. Harriet is a cool broad.

Jack, Emily, SB & Annie said...

woah! good guess. she did have a little doggie with her, although i didn't feel we were close enough for me to ask its name. will email asap, but SB is crying at the moment.

get back to work.

Anonymous said...

Nice 'camer' reference.

Tracy~ said...

MoHo. I love it. That is the correct pronunciation South of the Border.
I'm guessing since Jack was matchmaking, the bidding thing never worked out?!
Sound like you had a good time despite the rain.
Oh yeah... against 3rd graders? I'm the Phase 10 queen... just sayin'.

baby