Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Yay Sarah!

Last weekend, I went with a few friends to a baby shower for sweet Sarah Alford. Of course I forgot my camer, so I've been waiting on LT to post photos for me to steal. Sarah looked so cute, and a lot of people came to bless her. It was a fun time.

except for one thing.

And I'm not bitter about this or anything. I just feel like I was shafted a little bit. What do you think?

We played this game where everyone wears a clothespin on their shirt, and if you say the word "baby" then someone can take your pin. The person with the most pins at the end of the shower wins a prize. LT and I were in fierce competition, but my strategy of staying close to my mom, who said the forbidden word several times, paid off big time. I was 2 pins ahead of LT with five total. I didn't see anyone else with nearly that many, so I relaxed a little.

LT kept trying to trick me into saying the b word, but I stayed strong throughout the day.

I kept hearing these two girls across the room having a lovely conversation about their kids, and both of them kept saying the b word. I wanted so badly to run across the room and jerk both their pins off of their shirts, but I didn't know either one of them, and although I am a very competitive person, I just didn't feel right about it. I struggled with this for a long time, and finally decided to stay put, since I didn't see anyone else with as many pins as me. I didn't want to be "that girl" who was taking the game way too seriously, yanking pins off everybody in sight. In retrospect, perhaps I should have. But I didn't. To my own detriment.

So at the end of the shower, the hostess was like, ok who has the most pins? I tried to play it cool, like I had forgotten all about the game. She looked at me and said, oh, you've got a lot. I was like, oh yeah, let me see....hmmm... i've got 5. I stook up to accept my prize when THE GIRL across the room, the girl that I let slide so many times when she said the b word, stood up and pointed to this 90 year old woman and said, "she has more."

I couldn't believe my ears. Sure enough, this little old lady had a nice little pile of pins on the seat next to her. Nobody bothered to count them, they just proclaimed her the winner, but I wasn't convinced she had more than 5. However, I figured if that little old lady was brave enough to go up to that many people and yank their pins off, she deserved the prize.

And then I heard the news. Someone whispered to me in the corner. She hadn't done any such thing! She had been sitting pretty in her chair during the whole shower, and when people had to leave early, they took off their pins and gave them to her! What an outrage!

But I'm not bitter.

ps I hope you enjoyed the moonwalking bear.

6 comments:

Tracy~ said...

Hindsight and all that....Now you know how to win. Sit by the door. I'm sorry you came in
2nd.

My bunko group is fierce. It's a free for all. I'll have to blog about that.

The Texas VicHorns said...

You were so jipped. or is it gyped?

whatev.

Tracy~ said...

I read over at your sister's journal that it is/was your 4th anniversary! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

And THAT'S why you should never hold back at the b-word game...

Anonymous said...

outrage. i can't believe the old woman took credit for all those pins. terrible. she probably couldn't even hear well enough to catch anyone in the act. terrible.

Sarah Mae said...

You should have won Emily. I was oblivious to the blatant cheating going on at my shower! I was so glad you Starkville girls made the drive.

baby