Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Monday, November 5, 2007

Dieters Claim South Beach Diet No Day at the Beach

Jack decided last week that it was time to drop a few pounds, loosen up the ole belt buckle. While I supported him in this, like every other decision, I somehow felt it necessary to diet with him. I've been wanting to drop a few more pounds myself since SB was born, and out it came without even a thought, "Okay, I'll do it with you." SB and I ran to the library that afternoon to get a copy of the South Beach Diet book.

This was a terrible idea for several reasons. Besides the obvious ones: 1. I love carbs. 2. I love sugar. 3. I love chocolate... I could go on and on about the things I love to eat that are not allowed on the SBD. However, I also felt that starting a diet right before the holidays might not be the best time to lose weight. Since I have little self control to start with, even if I did lose some weight before Thanksgiving, I'd probably gain it all back in one day. Also, I hate dieting.

The first day was okay, but a few days into it, I was miserable. According to the doctor who made up the SBD, after a few days, you're supposed to feel fantastic and not even want to eat dessert after your lettuce dinner. Turns out that doctor is a freakin liar. My cravings did not go away, and I felt like I was going to drop dead any second. And my jeans weren't getting any bigger.

Of course, Jack has been serious about this all week, eating lettuce sandwiches and snacking on pinto beans, and he says he feels great and really doesn't miss the ice cream. I don't know why it's working so well for him while I'm still fat as ever and have no energy. Although my most hard core attempts at dieting might have been thwarted by the giant spoonfuls of cookie dough I secretly devoured all week when Jack wasn't looking. That might also explain why my cravings haven't gone away. But I'm no doctor.

Anyway, with SB still SOTT, she's taking every ounce of energy I have, and I need carbs. Finally, I told Jack I just didn't think the no carb diet was for me, especially while I'm still nursing SB, but that I wouldn't eat anything in front of him that he wasn't allowed to have. Sunday was Day 6 without bread, and I finally gave in. Not just a secret scoop of the Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Cookie Dough I have stashed away in the back of the refrigerator, (Cursed little girl next door and her cursed school fundraising) I mean I ate a TBC from Peppers, bread and all right in front of Jack for lunch yesterday. It was the most delicious thing I've ever eaten. In consideration of Jack's position (he was having lettuce and vinegar again) I ate it really fast so he wouldn't be too envious.

I do it all for you, Jack. All for you.
So, I'm officially off the diet, not just when Jack's not around, but for real this time. I've decided that he can diet, and I'll just exercise. SB and I went for a walk this morning, because after all, the important thing is to raise the old heart rate, and not to rush a physical relationship.

Off the subject, take a look at these:



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

SOTT. you are so brave to put such things on your blog.

The Texas VicHorns said...

the photos are fantastical!

diets are for losers.

Anonymous said...

one time i tried the sbd for about an hour, then decided that it was unhealthy to cut out any nutritional element of a balanced diet (this includes, of course, chocolate and bread bowls). i mulled this over as i ate french fries and had a smoothie today. it feels so good to be so healthy.

Unknown said...

i, too, hate dieting. I would never even attempt the SBD, however. I love cheez-its too much. The way they crisp...addicting.

those pictures are amazing.

Tracy~ said...

I sat here eating (fat free) saltines reading this blog entry. Good thing I'm not on that stupid diet. I can't live without bread.

Those pictures are great!

baby