Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Give me a long filled john and nobody gets hurt

SB loves doughnuts. What kid doesn't? What adult doesn't, for that matter? I heart doughnuts almost as much as I heart NY; even though I've never actually been there (yet), I'm sure I will heart it. Anyway, Jack takes SB to get doughnuts most Saturday mornings. Last time they came home with a cream filled chocolate covered long john for me. It was unbelievable. I had to share most of it with SB who was certain that it was supposed to be hers. Never mind the bag full of doughnut holes and the sprinkle covered doughnut that she had licked clean. But since Jack had to work this past weekend , she missed her weekly fix.

Last night as I was tucking SB into bed, she apologized to me.

SB: Mom, I'm really sorry.
Me: Why are you sorry?
SB: Remember when you took me to the beach and you wanted to take me to get doughnuts and I didn't want to go?

How could I forget the one time she turned down a chance to get a doughnut? There was never an explanation offered. She just said 'no thanks.' I don't know why SB was suddenly remembering this from 3 months ago, but I just went with it.

Me: Yes, I remember. That's okay though. I wasn't mad.
SB: Well, that really hurt my feelings.
Me: It hurt your feelings that you didn't want to get doughnuts?
SB: Yes. And I'm really sorry.

At this point, she was sniffling like she might cry. I don't know why she was so upset, but she seemed genuinely distraught.

Me: It's okay, Sarah Beth. You don't have to apologize.
SB: Well, *sniff* can we go get doughnuts tomorrow? You and me and Annie?.....But not Annie.
Me: Okay, maybe we can, but Annie will have to go with us.
SB: YAYAYAYAYAYYYYYY!

I forgot that to SB, the words "maybe" or "we'll see" or pretty much anything other than "no" means "yes."

Me: I said MAYBE we can go get doughnuts tomorrow. If we have time.
SB: Okay, Annie can go with us. I want a long filled john and doughnut holes. BOTH. Okay, mom?
Me: I guess we're getting doughnuts tomorrow. I could go for a long filled john too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA!! LOVE THAT KID

baby