Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Friday, January 28, 2011

Surgery Day

We are all still celebrating the good news from last night that Meredith's PET scan was normal. I wish you could have seen the scene in my living room when I got the news and screamed out loud in joy. Sarah Beth and I danced around the couch while Jack and Mary Beth immediately began rejoicing with us. We thanked God for the good report, then we hit the phones/internet to let all of you share in the joy. So many of you have been asking exactly what this news means. I'm no oncologist, and someone smarter than I can correct me if I am wrong, but my basic understanding is this:

The PET scan shows that the cancer has not spread to any of her organs. This is a really good indicator that during the surgery today, the doctor can remove all the rest of the cancerous tissue from the original site. I believe he will also take some lymph nodes to test for cancer cells, so maybe the PET scan doesn't show whether the cancer has infected any of her lymph nodes? Or perhaps the doctor is just being extra thorough. I know someone out there knows the answers to these questions, but I'm certain we will know more after the doctor goes in today.

Meredith's surgery starts at 10:30 am central time. I asked her this morning how long it might take, but she wasn't sure. Please continue to pray, and I will update everyone as soon as we get word that she is out of surgery.


In family news, Meredith said that Vic has been handling everything regarding her medical care, and that he has been a rock for her throughout this entire ordeal. Vic, thank you for taking such wonderful care of my sister! We love you and are praying for you as well!

My parents have been taking care of Madeleine this week, and she is doing great, sleeping through the night and loving every minute with her grandparents! Vic's parents arrived in LA last night to be with Vic and Meredith during the surgery today. Vic's father is a doctor, and it was at his urging that Meredith had this spot investigated in the first place! Thank you, Dr. Victor, for insisting she see a dermatologist!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Precious family.. praying and fasting and thanking God in advance ! We are link together standing in the gap for your daughter Meredith today! Our prayers mingled together as a sweet fragrance unto you lord !
We love you lord thank you for the life of our sweet Meredith. I am better for knowing her!
Amen

Anonymous said...

The baby is so precious. Praying that today goes smooth and that she will be well very soon.
Courtney

Caneel said...

Emily,
We love Meredith, Vic and Miss M so much. When I got Meredith's text last night about the PET scan I was so overjoyed! We have been praying, praying, praying! Thank you so much for these updates!
Caneel

baby