Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Bird Flew

It's a bird! And it's in my house!

*No animals were injured during the course of this story.*

Two days ago, SB was begging to go outside, as usual. I think that kid would live outside if we would let her. Anyway, I picked her up and opened the door, but no sooner had I taken one step outside than something zoomed past my head and into the house. A tiny little sparrow. Cute, but not an invited guest.

It landed on an artificial tree standing in the corner by the window, then flew all around the kitchen, living and dining rooms as we chased it to and fro, Jack with his hat and me wielding the broom. Sarah Beth was enchanted by the entire ordeal, and squealed with delight every time the bird careened past her little head.

We finally shooed him out, and I inspected the house for droppings. Thankfully, he came in on an empty stomach. I was still disgusted by the entire ordeal and happy it was over.

SCENE TWO: 24 hours later

Enter Sarah Beth, knocking on the door, begging to go outside again, calling out for Daddy, who had just left to run an errand. I scooped her up and stepped into the doorway, and a heavy sense of deja vu swept over me as I heard a curious rustling behind me.

The same swooshing noise as before, and a bit of wind rushing through my hair. The bird was back, and this time, he was flying on a full stomach. I quickly strapped SB into her high chair so

A. she wouldn't run outside and
B. I wouldn't trample her while chasing Mr. Sparrow.

I couldn't see him, but I had a pretty good idea of where he was hiding. I grabbed the broom and dove into the fake ficus. The experience must have been too much for him, as he let loose his fury on my dining room floor. I finally chased him out, then dealt with the mess on my floor.

So disgusting.

Jack is the one who figured out that Mr. Sparrow had been nesting in my front door Christmas wreath. Needless to say, it came down the next day. After I beat on the door a few times to scare him away, of course.

4 comments:

Alison said...

just listened to mb sing "o holy night" wow! she's good :)

The Texas VicHorns said...

it must have flew

LT (and Max) said...

HA!!! love that story. i once let a bird into claire's parents house when we were younger. we trapped it in sams room.

p.s. yes, mere, it must have flew. haha

Katie said...

haha!!! Too funny! We just had two birds fly into our furniture store right before Christmas! 50,000 sq. ft. of furntire - and these birds definately had a full stomach! We finally had to close the store and our warehouse guys had to pelt them with a bb gun to get them out!

baby