Our Sweet Sarah Beth

baby

Darling Little Debbie

baby

Monday, October 19, 2009

Coffee Talk

There are a few things that I have been meaning to share with you lately. First of all, this guy:



Cash Now

I have seen him before, standing beside a major highway in front of this check cashing joint. Last time, he was dressed in the same Uncle Sam getup, but instead of a sign, he was waving a handful of dolla dolla bills. Unfortunately, I did not have my camer handy on that occasion. You can imagine my delight when I saw him a second time; I even made Jack turn around so we could go back and get a picture.

Unfortunately, Uncle Sam wasn't wielding any money that day. I guess the economy hit them hard too. The American flag is a nice touch, though. Cash Now. Truly the American way.

You don't need a bank to cash your payroll check. No job? No problem! They will gladly accept your car title instead.

I think the message here is clear: Stay in school, kids.


Topic Number Two: A foreboding piece of junk mail


This gem was waiting for me in my mailbox last month. In times of economic crisis, most people go to the mailbox hesitantly, dreading bills, past due notices and bank statements of poor report.

So this company took it one step further and went for the jugular, reminding us that hey, we're all gonna die. Don't sweat it! You've got enough to worry about, what with dying and all. So why not let us service your phone until you kick? We won't even make you sign a contract, because, let's face it, you'll probably be dead soon anyway.

Please notice the skeleton hand reaching out, pointing out the fact that you are, indeed, going to die.

The best part about this gimmick is that there are no gimmicks!!

That isn't photoshopped, folks. I don't have that program. (Thanks, Paint, for the red highlighter.)

Anyway, hope you enjoy your day. I mean, you better enjoy it while you can.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I kid you not - in Hattiesburg in front of said cash store, lady liberty and uncle sam stand to wave you in. American tradition, perhaps?

Thanks for posting your mail. Now that I know that I will, in fact, die one day, I am going to hurry and take advantage of that offer.

Thanks for the advice.

Until next time. (unless we die first)

Amy Jordon said...

Uncle Sam: What's with that handmade sign? Is it supposed to inspire the trust that fled when I saw someone dressed in a costume telling me they could give me money?
Gonna die: yikes.

Unknown said...

I had no idea we were all going to die. I am so glad your junk mail informed me!

Most of her flowers I make myself. A little hot glue and a cheap barrette. I got her headbands off etsy.com for $1.50/each. For the bigger ones, I bought headbands from the Walmart and glued a ribbon around it to provide a place to attach the flower. Ooh...maybe Ill do a giveaway on my blog...mmm...be on the lookout

harry said...

this post was glorious. i laughed out loud at work when i was supposed to be doing inventory. then my boss wanted to know what was so funny. great. now my internet privileges may be revoked. i hope you're happy.

also, could we maybe stop by MoMoney Taxes when they get set up?

Lori Robertson said...

Emily! You always make me laugh. We have a similar Uncle Sam at one of the check-cashing establishments in Tupelo. The junk mail is pretty frightening... I haven't received anything like that.

baby